Wednesday, September 15, 2010

The Good and the Not So Good

So even though I have only been in Japan for about a week now, but even already I have noticed things I like, things that are positive, things that have been difficult, and so on and so forth. So I have made this little list to start out and share with you all.
Positive Aspects So Far:
  1. Everything is new and exciting. Since arriving here I have had the pleasure of exploring and discovering a whole new life with new routines, environments, etc and I can't help but be excited by any and all of it.
  2. I haven't gone through "culture shock". Because I have been to Japan before and have studied its language, culture, history, etc for so many years everything maybe be new and exciting but definitely not shocking. For the most part I remember how to get around and how to survive. I know what to expect for many things which has allowed me a larger comfort zone than some of the other students who have never been here before and don't know anything about Japanese society and culture. 
  3. Everyday is an adventure. Similar to everything I encounter being new and exciting, everyday I go out is an adventure, no matter how mundane or common place the activity is. Grocery shopping or going to the bank has become interesting once more. 
  4. I get to be an independent adult. For the first time in my life I am living by myself and am responsible for taking care of myself as well. I get to figure it all out and become a stronger person for it. As well I am a legal adult here in Japan so I can sign contracts, go to bars, and drink sake legally :). In general I am learning a lot more about self care and self reliance.
  5. I get to speak Japanese. Everyday I am provided with many opportunities to use Japanese, and I believe that these daily interactions mixed with classroom study and overall immersion with help to improve my language abilities ten fold over the next year. 
  6. I love Japanese culture. The reason I started studying the Japanese language was because I fell in love with its culture/history/food/art/customs/etc and wanted to be able to better understand them. I also wanted to be able to communicate with the great Japanese friends I have made over the years. Thus being here surrounds me with all these things I enjoy. 
Negative Aspects so Far:
  1. I have to adjust to everything. While everything is new and exciting, its also different and takes time to adjust to. There are so many subtle customs or processes that I am unfamiliar with and have to learn about from trial and error or asking Japanese people about them. It can be tiring to learn how to adjust to a whole new society or to adjust to the differences between American supermarkets/post offices/transit/pharmacies/etc and Japanese ones. But I am up for the challenge :)
  2. Its a struggle to be comfortable. It seems like I am constantly trying to be comfortable in uncomfortable environments or situations. Things I have to contend with include: heat, humidity, bugs, crowdedness, intense weather, and the constant struggle to understand and comprehend. 
  3. Everything is expensive. Its Tokyo, so everything you want to do takes money and is expensive. However some things are actually cheaper/more affordable here than in the USA. Such things include stuff from the 100yen store, food from convenience stores, food from restaurants in general since you don't pay tax or tip when you go out to eat in Japan, and certain forms of entertainment like karaoke or purikura. 
  4. It's a little too easy to get disoriented. I find that getting around the city can be tough sometimes and its a little to easy to lose one's way or get on the wrong train if one isn't paying close enough attention.
  5. It's been difficult to take care of my health. I do take my vitamins and I try to get enough sleep and eat well, but it hasn't been easy. I have been so busy I don't always have the time to invest in buying and cooking myself healthy food, or I don't always know where to acquire the things I want to buy. Convenience store food is not terrible, but I do need to start eating more fresh fruits and vegetables like I did back in Seattle. 
  6. I am on my own. While I do have the love and support of friends and family back home, and there are resources for me here in Tokyo, it can feel at times like I only have myself to depend on until I develop stronger ties with the people in my community. 
  7. So much work! The amount of work I need to do to get established here in Japan in a little overwhelming. 
Honestly I have been too busy to really appreciate that I am in Japan or to miss home. I know I will get homesick eventually, it’s inevitable, but I can’t say when or how strongly it will affect me. Until then I am content being infatuated with my new surroundings, and hopefully by the time I do feel homesick I will have a stronger support system here in Japan made of friends and other who I can rely on. 

1 comment:

  1. I've never understood why Europeans always seem to choose to visit other parts of Europe. Sure there are differences, but the variations in culture and architecture are very slight when compared with Japan.

    Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete